State Retiree Council
The Minnesota State Retiree Council, AFL-CIO, is the umbrella organization of union retirees clubs and local unions with retirees.
What's its function:
- It provides retired union members and spouses official representation within the Minnesota AFL-CIO.
- It enables retired trade unionists to speak with a unified voice on public policy issues.
- Affiliated organizations coordinate joint activities through the council.
How is it governed?
- Union retiree organizations and local unions with retirees affiliate with the state council.
- Affiliates send delegates to an annual convention that elects officers, and determines the state council's action priorities.
- Elected officers coordinate state retiree council action on priorities set by the convention.
How does it relate with the Minnesota AFL-CIO?
- The state retiree council is an affiliate of the Minnesota AFL-CIO.
- The council's annual convention elects delegates and alternates to state federation conventions.
- Retirees, through the Council, help shape the state federation's agenda and participate in its work by having the Retiree Council President serve as a Minnesota AFL-CIO Vice President.
How can our organization affiliate?
- Call Bill Moore, State Retiree Council President, at 651-227-7647 or 1-800-652-9004.
Retirement for the 99%, a video discussion of major financial issues confronting current and future retirees, is now available online at this link. http://mediamill.cla.umn.edu/mediamill/display/174165. Produced by the Minnesota State Retiree Council, AFL-CIO in collaboration with the Labor Education Service, University of Minnesota, the 7-part video examines problems affecting Social Security, pensions and affordable health care - including Medicare - and suggests solutions to assure that all Americans retire with dignity and security. Groups and organizations can arrange for a facilitated presentation of the video, with discussion and printed materials, by contacting Dan Mikel: <firstname.lastname@example.org>. Or leave a message on the Retiree Council phone: 651-227-7647 or (toll free) 1-800-652-9004.
(All monthly meetings begin at 10 AM)
June 26 - Carpenters Hall, 710 Olive St., St. Paul
July 24 - MN AFL-CIO office
August 28 - Location TBD
September 25 - MN AFL-CIO office
October 23 - Location TBD
December 4 - MN AFL-CIO office
Voices of Experience on YouTube! Voices of Experience can be seen in Sauk Rapids, St. Joseph, Sartell and Waite Park on the Community Channel 12 at 8 PM on Wednesdays; also in the southern suburbs on Town Square TV and in the Northeast St. Paul Suburbs on the Suburban Community Channel.
Retiree Council on Facebook!