The Bakery, Confectionary, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers Union (BCTGM) Local 22 is seeking a full-time Bi-Lingual, Spanish speaking External Organizer. The applicant would and support and lead diverse workers during organizing drives, effectively fighting employers’ anti-organizing tactics and campaigns.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBITIES:
- Support and lead diverse workers during organizing drives.
- Perform tasks needed in an organizing campaign, including research, list-building, charting, data entry, and creating event calendars, newsletters and campaign flyers.
- Communicate individually with workers through house visits and phone calls.
- Assess, move and test workers who want to organize.
- Understand and clearly explain labor rights and contract language.
- Function with a high degree of independence, doing continuous organizing at assigned locations.
- Establish rapport with workers in widely diversified ethnic, social and economic groups, and workers experiencing disabilities.
- Creatively and effectively fight back against employers’ anti-union campaigns.
- File election petitions with the National Labor Relations Board.
- Attend pre-election conferences and assist in hearings before the Board.
- Gather, analyze and present statistical data.
- Other responsibilities as may be assigned to meet the needs of the Local.
- At least 2 years of experience in union organizing, or a combination of education and experience to be able to meet the requirements of this job.
- Demonstrated experience managing or leading project teams.
- Organizing experience in immigrant communities highly preferred.
- Bi Lingual in English and Spanish
- Excellent listening skills, especially the ability to draw out people’s individual stories by asking open-ended questions.
- Ability to communicate clearly with people from widely varying ethnic, social and economic groups, and experiences of disability.
- Able to work long hours and irregular schedules, including evenings and weekends.
- Able to travel as needed for training, conferences or work assignments. Travel will include overnight stays.
- Able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Able to function in computerized environment, including working knowledge of Word, Excel, email, Internet, and campaign-related databases.
- Must have valid driver’s license and vehicle in good working condition. Must have proof of auto insurance.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
Wages and benefits commensurate with level of experience and skills.
Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Interested persons should email a resume, letter of interest, and references to BCTGM Local 22 President Bruce Peglow at [email protected]. by 4:30 pm on May 27, 2016. Please state clearly that you are applying for the “External Organizer” position.