May 12 2019
It’s crunch time for the 2019 Legislative Session. Governor Walz is deep in negotiations advocating for policies that will benefit working Minnesotans from all places and backgrounds.
He needs to know we have his back while he fights for new revenue to fix our roads and bridges, fully funded schools, affordable healthcare, and paid family & medical leave for all.
Here’s how we can all help:
- Record a short video of yourself thanking Governor Walz for standing #WithThePeople and talking about the issues important to you. Here are a few ideas.
- Post it to your favorite social media platforms including the hashtag #WithThePeople and be sure to tag the Minnesota AFL-CIO (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook) and Governor Walz (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook) to make sure everyone sees it. (Here’s a sample post for ideas)
- Share this e-mail with your friends!
Sample Issue Talking Points
- We need to make a long-term investment in our roads and bridges so something like the 35W bridge collapse never happens again. We need new, dedicated revenue from our gas tax to make sure Minnesota never falls behind on road safety in the future.
- We need to fully fund our public schools to make sure our children and future generations of Minnesotans can thrive.
- We can make healthcare more affordable and widely accessible by protecting the provider tax to create a public insurance option that is open to every Minnesotan.
- We need to make sure big corporations and the wealthy few are paying their fair share in taxes. Let’s close the loopholes corporations use to hide their profits overseas and invest that revenue in working Minnesotans.
- We can give every working Minnesotan the freedom to care for ourselves and the people we love by creating a paid family and medical leave program.
- We need to make sure all working people are paid what they are promised by increasing penalties on employers who steal from workers and practice wage theft.