Scholarships & Awards

2014 Community Services Awards

The Minnesota AFL-CIO Bea Kersten Community Services Project Award honors groups that have made unique contributions to their communities through volunteer service.  The Terrel D. Merriman Community Services Award honors individuals who make unique contributions to their communities through volunteer service.  The Minnesota AFL-CIO Youth Volunteer Award honors young union members or dependents of union members (ages 17-21) who made unique contributions to their community through volunteer service.  

Deadline is May 30, 2014.

MN AFL-CIO Scholarship for High School Seniors

The Minnesota AFL-CIO is proud to have scholarships available for union members and their dependents. 

The Minnesota AFL-CIO scholarship is awarded to five (5) recipients in 2014 to graduating high school seniors who are union members or the dependents of union members.

The scholarship application deadline is April 30, 2014.   

Download the scholarship form for details of eligibility requirements.  

Martin Duffy Adult Learner Scholarship

Two $500 scholarships will be awarded to union members belonging to a union affiliated with the MN AFL-CIO.  Application must be postmarked by April 30, 2014.  Download scholarship form for more information.

Union Plus Scholarship

Since 1992, the Union Plus Scholarship Program has awarded more than $2.4 million to students of working families who want to begin or continue their post-secondary education. Over 1,700 families have benefited from our commitment to higher education. The Union Plus Scholarship Program is offered through the Union Plus Education Foundation. Here is more information at UnionPlus.

Labor Leadership Grants

The Tobey Lapakko Labor Leadership Grant is available to women who are union members in good standing; the Charles McKenna Leadership Grant is available to men who are union members in good standing.  

Grants are available for members of affiliated unions seeking to develop their abilities and skills as union leaders.  The grants help defray the cost of classes, programs or conferences sponsored or endorsed by the AFL-CIO or affiliated organizations. read more »

Syndicate content